Saturday, June 21, 2008

All together now…

Yesterday the family’s flight was eight hours late. We made up for it by drinking eight bottles of rosé.

Today everyone seems to have suddenly and mysteriously developed the flu…


Of course, if there was ever a good place to recover from the previous evening’s alcoholic adventures, I’d have to say it’s a place like Tony’s. Here, as passing sailboats waving from the canal, you alternate between dips in the hot tub and perfectly shaded naps.

So much for arriving at the Chêne en Croix by noon.


When we had fully recovered, we made our way up the mountain. I saw the stonewalls marking the entrance to the increasingly bumpy driveway and my heart stopped. The orange walls peaked through the jade tree leaves as we neared the house. I am overwhelmed. This place is magical.

Alex had the best job: While Mom & I made lunch and B shopped for groceries, Alex opened the house. He was the first one in, unlocking the evergreen shudders to let in the golden sun and sea breeze. He was the first one to make his way carefully to the view. He was the one that brought the house alive, the house that will in turn rejuvenate all who enter it.

And while the family sat reading, I applied for a couple online jobs to supplement the income. I’ve never been good at being idle, but this time it’s worse. I’m lost without my Blackberry. Tomorrow I must fix it. I must reconnect with the world.

No comments: