Sunday, August 03, 2008

Ludo’s Arrival

I can’t explain it.

I couldn’t sleep last night I was so excited for them to come. I feel like I’ve been waiting all summer for today, and I have no explanation for it. I’m not sure why, but their arrival means safety. It’s wonderful.

Alberte promised they’d come in the morning, so I lingered. I cleaned the house – extra nice – and made gazpacho. I tidied up the back porch; I cleaned my room; I ran another load of laundry. But still, they didn’t come.

Finally I went to the beach, and I left them a note saying so. At the beach, I discovered a voicemail.

Hearing Ludo’s voice made my heart beat faster. “I’m sorry,” I said to Tony, Maria, their friends, “I have to go.” They were all at the crique, and I wanted to see them.

Of course, I wasn’t up for hiking down to our favorite swimming hole. Instead, I put on my new French dress and curled up with a book.

I heard their feet on the walkway before I saw them. The moment I realized it was them arriving, I lept from the chair and threw my arms around Ludo, then Francis. Finally, family.

It was like I breathed for the first time this summer, and all the anxiety melted away. I can’t wait for these two weeks… and then, Sarah!

No comments: