Thursday, July 07, 2005

Dog Days of Summer

I spent six hours stuck in traffic today; six hours boiling in the 32° heat. But I can’t complain, the company made it all worthwhile.



I am desperate for company. I am almost as desperate for money. And in an odd twist of events I found an opportunity for both. I have taken on a dog and I absolutely adore her, and I even get paid some for each week I can enjoy her companionship. Her master just had a divorce and neither he nor his ex-wife have any place for the dog. The poor pup has been living in kennels for almost two weeks now.

I am so happy to have rescued her! She is the sweetest dog I have ever known. She is calm and peaceful, hardly ever stirring even to play. She loves to cuddle – when I lie down she practically climbs on top of me to ensure she gets some luvin! And when other dogs bark or nip at her, she simply tolerates them without ever baring teeth or making a noise. She’s phenomenal.

She hates to be alone. She follows me everywhere to make sure I don’t leave. (Of course, as I laugh at how much she is stuck to my side, I find myself pausing at the bottom of the stairs to wait for her. I think we are both two lonely souls happy to find someone who wants us around all the time.) I don’t blame her – she’s been abandoned by her loved ones more than once this past year and she’s spent much of this month in a cage. And she’s smart, too – we tried to lock her in a room and she doesn’t hesitate to open the door by the handle. As much as I am impressed, it posed a bit of a problem when we decided to go out.

Sara and her friends love pool. The only pool table I am familiar with is at Le P’tit Club, the bar at which I get to practice all sorts of French. Plus, I wanted to know if I literally kissed that job goodbye… so we went. All seven of us – including Tequila – piled into the Peugeot and off we went. I received a warm welcome; apparently after one night I am the favorite regular! Dogs are not typically allowed but “given the mistress,” as I was told, they would make an exception for mine. And she was better than well behaved – she sat beside me no matter where I went, ignoring the blaring music or millions of people who wanted to play. She’s so happy to have company, too.

We had a wonderful time, talking and drinking and playing cards. I practiced a lot of French again and even Sara said I know the language and don’t speak with an American accent.



After the bar closed, I was still wired. We sat at the house and had wine and chatted as people went to bed, one by one. Not me. Martine, one of Sara’s friends, somehow found the patience to tolerate my ridiculous ideas and walked to the crique with me and my new pup to watch the sunrise. He, however, was not ridiculous enough to join us in a sunrise swim…



It was beautiful. It’s been a wonderful day. I’m sure this is a terribly written entry but between speaking so much French and such poor English (so everyone here whose first language is not English can understand me) and no sleep and quite a bit of booze, you can’t really blame me. I think I may need a break from writing for a bit to figure out what language I ought to think in.

I do have a puppy, though. = )

Well, at least for now…

No comments: