Monday, September 25, 2006

Air Chance

I love flying. Most people hate it; there’s a lot of hassle and anxiety involved. Plus, there’s always the chance something will go wrong.

But truthfully, as long as it’s on your way home, what’s the worst that can happen? Planes are delayed and you miss a connection… then what?

I’ll tell you what:

You don’t have any of your luggage. Some will argue this sucks because you have no change of clothes. So? Buy a tee shirt and undies, call it a day. And be thankful you have nothing to carry around with you.

Also, you have nowhere to stay. Guess what? The airline buys you a hotel room and pays for your transportation to get there. Shit – a free cab ride. Gotta hate that.

I know all of these things because I fly Air France. (Honestly though, how much trust can you really place in an airline owned and operated in part by the French government?) And when my family flies, there is always a guarantee of a delay or cancellation and the “drama” that ensues. Me, well… I’ve been pretty lucky. All has gone well for me before, and now – well, it’s all worked out again.

See, my flight from Nice to Paris was delayed. Only slightly – perhaps 25 minutes – but delayed none-the-less. There was a ripple effect.

My time of arrival in CDG was crucial; I had only 45 minutes to run from one terminal to another… but as long as that was enough time for my luggage to board the flight to Boston, that was time enough. When my flight from Nice was delayed, that meant there wasn’t enough time, and I couldn’t go home tonight since there are no more flights from Paris to Boston. Because you’re always at risk when you fly “Air Chance.”

My flights had to be adjusted. I could gather my belongings, return to Camarat, have one more day in the Côte d’Azur – with most of it wasted on the A-8 and Nice’s airport. OR – alternately – I could keep my flight to Paris, meet someone for dinner, get a good night’s sleep, have one more day in France, and fly to Boston tomorrow afternoon. Gee, which would you choose?

Long story long, I’m now about to land in Paris equipped with a few remaining euros and my cell phone, psyched to see the family one last time and have one last walk around Paris.

And, as much as I miss work, it’s one more day of vacation. Sorry ladies, I guess I’ll have to see you Tuesday… = )

No comments: