Wednesday, September 20, 2006

À bientôt

The “older generation” has left. I watched them go. First my grandparents’ friends, who were generous and kind, interesting and fun. Conversation flowed as freely as the wine. It really was good hanging out with them… even though I ended up losing Cribbage.

Then my grandparents. I stood in front of the house, my bare feet clinging to the cool ceramic tiles, and waved goodbye. It was so wonderful to spend time with them here again, just like last year… just a bit briefer. As I waved goodbye, it felt just like last year… another family leaving, a different one on the way. This is the ebb and flow of Camarat.

The next guests of Chez Michel will do things differently. They will make breakfast differently, rearrange the kitchen differently, have different rules on showering, towels, locking up and so on. Hell, the language will be different. And I like it how my grandparents do things. I miss them already.

I’m sure it’ll be lovely with Sylvia. But there is no time as special as being here with Grandma and Papa.

That kind of time is truly unique.


Thanks, and love.

No comments: