Monday, July 07, 2008

The Car!

I don’t know what it is, but every time I’m here, the excitement doesn’t settle in until I take the POS for a quick drive by myself in the heat of the day. It’s just something… special.

Today I took it to buy flowers to welcome Julien and his pregnant fiancée.

I scared the ants away with poisonous powder. I used a stick off the tree above its parking spot to fish out some of the cobwebs. I put a mat from the lounge chairs over the seat to protect my clean(ish) clothes from the thick layer of sand and crud clinging to the car’s fabric. Then with a little/lot of help from the starter, I drove off.

The quirks came back to me quickly: Don’t shift to second while still in the driveway; the car will never make it. Be extra careful winding around the hairpin turns of the mountain; the car lacks power steering. Dead leaves flew into the open windows from their rotting place on the windshield; some of the cobwebs I missed fluttered threateningly.

I laughed the whole way.

No comments: