Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It’s Official: I live here.

The Boss came to play with his newly repaired boat.

Upon his return from an adventure at sea, the salt-soaked breeze carried his voice through the slats in the shudders to my hiding place in the bedroom. He still didn’t know I was here.

“You know,” he said to Tony, “I still can’t get over how great the container looks. Your friend Catherine did a great job.” Tony showed him the container this afternoon, and apparently the look on his face was utter shock and contentment. Now, the Boss giggled. “I’m going to have you two come do my garage next!” I wondered if there was money involved.

“And it was also really great of her to come help out with the Aston Martin,” he added. “I know it was late and I appreciate both of you coming out to help.”

Maria chimed in: “Tony, you must tell him what she said!”

I could practically hear Tony blush. “In the middle of the job, she turns to me and says, ‘Tony,’ she says, ‘I want to make out with this car.”

My heart stopped. Now he’ll never let me near the car again.

Of course, I’ve never heard a rich man laugh so hard in my life. “She said that!? Really?” More laughter.

As he laughed, the smell of customized leather filled my nose, my fingertips longed for the perfect curves of the car… I wiped the drool off my face.

Tony’s voice interrupted his laughter. “Speaking of Catherine, do you mind if she stays with us for a couple days here and there? The house where she normally stays –“

“Of course!” The Boss’s jovial voice interrupted. “She can stay however long she likes.” They’re voices trailed off into the distance. I heard the door open and Tony and Maria follow him out to say goodbye.

Then I emerged.

Maria saw me first. With a bright smile and playful tone, she said: “Ah, she emerges! It’s ok now, you’re official.” She winked and disappeared back into the kitchen. It's time for our evening wine and chips session.

I breathed a sigh of relief.

It’s nice to be the official and welcomed guest of Hotel Giscle.

No comments: