Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I take it back

I knew I would. It’s just the awkward adjustment stage I find so miserable, and – haunted by rumors – I let little things creep into my soul and fester. From now on, I’m acting only on the information in front of me.

The family returned from the beach. I thought I heard them but was engrossed in my writing work and didn’t move from the bed.

Suddenly, three anxious taps at the door.

“Oui?”

Alix walked in looking equally shy and exhilarated. She rushed up and threw her arms around my neck, giving me kisses, and proudly introduced me to her friend. They showered Tequila with love and attention.

Downstairs, I offered to help make dinner. Alain kept pouring me wine. I tried to set the table, but the adults told me there were young children to do that; I should sit and talk with them. I was nervous. Sylvia finally said, “Relax, make it feel like home. You are welcome here.”

Maybe I am, maybe I’m not. I will enjoy the time I have here at the house, and I will be out of the house often.

C’est tout.

No comments: