Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Partir - v. to leave

Today is my last day in paradise.

After a whirlwind of a weekend, that’s actually ok. I’m happy; I’ve done most of the things I wanted to. I will finish up, enjoy today.

Today is Tuesday. The market’s in St. Tropez. I love the market.

Tony offered to go with me, but I politely declined. To go to the market by oneself allows you to be totally absorbed by the sights, smells, and sounds; completely engulfed by the bright, colorful, Provencal air. With my hands dangling lightly by my sides, I walked up and down the aisles, letting my fingers graze across cashmere, silk, jewelry… I spent much of the morning roaming to all corners of the market, pausing at each table to examine its goods – even though I searched for nothing in particular. Honestly, I don’t even think I brought any cash. I just love the market.

As I emerged from the whirlpool of oranges, yellows, and blues; from the cloud of Provencal French and meat/candy/lavender/soap perfumed air; I thought about how much I love this place. I walked the narrow streets of St. Tropez, unsuccessfully finishing last-minute errands, admiring the pastel painted buildings and the enormous sailboats still docked in the port, their masts disappearing in the fluffy white clouds above. I will miss off-season Tuesdays in town.

Tony and I had paninis and rose on the back of the boat, looking across the water to the harbor front. I thought of all the things I have to do (fight parking tickets, see the vet, go to the bank), all the people I still have to say goodbye to (Z & Alberte, the folks at L’Esquinade), all the things that will make tomorrow suck (departing Nice at 6am on Air France, arriving in Paris and claiming both my disgustingly heavy suitcaseS as well as my dog, checking them all promptly back in at American Air and then - sigh - on a plane for home).

This was an experience of the lifetime. I know I had fantasized about doing this, but I never actually believe it would – or it could – come true. These past few months have been a dream. But look at me: I did it. I survived, I made a life, I (almost) learned French. I passed several fantastic vacations with my family. I’m thrilled I made this decision, that I put off growing up, getting a real job, beginning the rest of my life. This was great. I’ve grown as a person in more ways than I knew I could. I know now that this is the advice I’d give every college grad: before you start working – go out and play!

I've got to get cleaning. Tequila needs a brush, the sheets need to be hung on the line. Tonight, after drinks with the Combas, I'm taking Tony to Au Fil de la Pâte for a thank you gift - he's the one getting out of bed at 3:30 tomorrow morning to drag me to Nice.

This is the last entry from le Chêne en Croix... for now...

No comments: