Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Revenir - v. to come back

The city was still sleeping when we descended from the sky. The lights of Paris sparkled amongst the blankness of early morning, much like the starts in the night sky. All I could think about was Tequila… wonder if she’s crying in her cage below.

We were early. Circling the city in preparation for landing, the blazing red sun began to rise on Earth, lighting up the city. Paris is beautiful. I have such fond feelings for Paris – especially know that I really know my family who lives there. I smiled thinking of my memories made there last May… how long ago that feels. Admiring the ancient bridges crossing the Seine, I thought about my old friend and boss, Chef Pino. He told me Paris was disgusting – an awful city. I remember getting so angry at him for that; looking down, I remember always loving Paris. But now that I think about it, I think I’ve just always loved France… and all of it.

It’s odd to be back here and have so many people I’d love to see so close, yet know that I can’t see them. Tequila and I are hiding in the back corner of McDonalds. She’s precious and doing remarkably well – still sniffing out stray fries despite the drugs. I’ve met some really sweet people here who have actually taken the time to help; don’t be silly, none of these people worked for Air France.

I feel terribly for her, though. Tequila looks like shit. Her eyes are drooping so low I fear that her bloodshot eyeballs may fall out. I nearly cry every time she’s due for a pill. But she’s sweet, lying here like a good dog, cuddled up against my feet. She’s mostly stopped crying in her cage, probably gotten used to it. Either that or she’s realized that when she shuts up I feed her saucison…

I arrived at the check-in desk four hours early like they told me when I called both times. Guess what the lady told me as I showed her my ticket? “You know, you’re really too early.”

Thanks.

But she took my bags and Tequila’s cage and now we’re stretching our legs, getting some fresh air. Only two hours to kill…

I just checked the weather in the Côte d’Azur. It’s raining in St. Tropez, my little city is crying because I’ve gone…

No comments: