Saturday, August 13, 2005

The Ebb & Flow of Chez Michel

Ludo left. I thought I was going to cry. I had such a nice time with him and his family I’m heartbroken to see them go. I really will miss them. Patricia adopted me; fed me and talked me through all my dilemmas. Ludovic is a fascinating man, good natured and intriguing, with a rich history and a hopeful outlook on life. Sidone and Olivier were wonderful to meet. The house was full of warmth and kindness when they were here. I was so happy; I really will miss them when they’re gone.

But they are gone. Tequila and I sat on the veranda and waved them off, the only constants this house has known all summer long.

Just before they left, Sarah arrived. I had been sitting in the sunroom and through the open window I could hear the faint crackling of our dirt driveway giving way under the weight of a car. My heart stopped. It’s family – family I know. I dropped everything and sprinted out of the house, waiting impatiently at the foot of the driveway for a car to emerge from behind the brush. When it did, I found myself jumping with joy. Literally – jumping. Waving. Smiling. Laughing. Family’s here!

I feel like I can sigh a big sigh of relief. I’m alive, I’ve made it. I spent three months in a place that I did not know, with a language I did not speak, watching strangers come and then leave as friends. I am safely through the unknown and back into familiar territory. As a child I spent countless summers here with my Aunt Sarah, my Uncle Jom & Aunt Carol, their children – my cousins, my grandparents. Even the guests of Jom are familiar – the last time I saw them I was 11 and we were all on vacation here.

At the same time, their arrival means it’s almost over. The hard part is done. I’m safe again. The adventure’s over, vacation’s begun. I’m not complaining, just noticing the shift. It’s amazing how easy it is to settle down, to get your heart beating normally again. Family will do that. They comfort without even being aware of it.

I have to re-learn a lot of things, though. Like how to speak English. Not French-English, or delayed English, or ridiculously clear English so that everyone can understand me. It’s time to remember things like “wicked” and drop the R’s and speak quickly and keep up with conversation. I must remember to not hesitate about explaining difficult concepts or think too much about choosing well-known words. I can speak slang, I can talk baseball, I can say “the Cape” without worrying whether or now whomever I’m speaking with will understand. These are Americans. Countrymen. Family.

The best part of Sarah’s arrival is it signifies the next chapter: now I get to learn about the Americans, the family I know already but have so much more to discover. Now it’s time to hear their memories of the house, their perceptions of their cousins, their feelings on the French heritage.

All of life’s an adventure – take it with courage and explore even the deepest wilderness. But remember to bring a snack…

YEA!

= )

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done on a great blog C. I was searching for information on hotel nice france and came across your post The Ebb & Flow of Chez Michel - not exactly what I was looking for related to hotel nice france but very interesting all the same!