Friday, August 12, 2005

The Power of MuSiC!

I remembered I owned an iPod today. Back in the States when I burned CDs or illegally took music off the Internet, I had composed quite a little pack of incredibly good music.

It’s only when I listen to really American music – from Led Zeppelin and Don Henley to Kelis and Jean Paul – that I really miss home. I want nothing more than to go dancing at chic Boston clubs, play pong in grimy frat basements, tailgate at football games, drink beers or scotch and party like there’s no tomorrow. In September, if money wasn’t an issue (not to mention the little fact that my presence in France isn’t exactly what one calls legal and if I leave after September 2nd, who knows when I can come back), I’d go home for a week. I’d take a vacation from here, just to say hi. Just to dance. Just to be crazy and American and young.

I’d start in Boston, with a haircut (from my old hairdresser on Newbury Street who justifies charging hundreds of dollars by calling himself an artist… I saw him back in the day when I worked hard and had money, before I chose to go the route of the starving artist) and Reggie night and my dear friend Shannon. I’d go to Providence to watch soccer and enjoy the presence of old friends and Ivy League boys. I’d make my way to Amherst to see my best friend from forever and get wasted in her new apartment. Then I’d head down to Philly to watch a friend play football and play ruit myself at the frat all night long. I’d go back to my own stomping grounds, back to Dartmouth, and dominate in REAL pong (none of this sissy beruit crap). Of course I’d see my family and hang out with my brother and be with them, but God would I dance. Music does that to me. Makes me want to pppppaaaarrrrttttaaayyyy… hard. I think I’d find any excuse to travel anywhere – Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Chicago… wherever I have someone willing to put me up for a night. UGH. Doesn’t that sound nice.

But it’s not going to happen. And as I lie on this hammock with my laptop – iPod or not – and I look around, it’s going to be hell to leave this place. I love it here. I’d like to stay here for as long as possible, even if it means I have to put off my crazy adventures across the States for another day. Or never, I guess.

We’ll see. I do have to go back sometime…

Recipe for Desiring a Great Night Out:
Three months in France
-PLUS-
Bon Jovi – You Give Love A Bad Name, Livin’ On A Prayer
Rolling Stones – Shattered, Mamma’s Little Helper, Let’s Spend The Night Together, Anybody Seen My Baby?, Start Me Up, Miss you, Beast of Burden
Led Zeppelin – Fool in the Rain, Ramble On, Stairway to Heaven, Going to California, Over the Hills and Far Away, Whole Lotta Love
Fleetwood Mac – Black Magic Woman (yes, I think it’s better than Santana’s), Brass Pocket
Journey – Don’t Stop Believing
Pink Floyd – Money
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Steppenwolf – Magic Carpet Ride
The Animals – The Girl Cant Help It
Grateful Dead – Casey Jones
Kenny Rogers – Just Dropped In
Scorpion – Rock You Like A Hurricane
Joan Jett – I Love Rock’n’Roll
Don Henley – All She ants to Do Is Dance
Simon & Garfunkle – Me and Julio, Cecelia
Eagles – Hotel California, Life in the Fastlane
Nick Gilder – Here Comes The Night
Lynyrd Skynyrd – Sweet Home Alabama
Eric Clapton – Layla (unplugged)
Bad Company – Feel Like Making Love
Bon Jovi – Two Story Town
Tom Petty – You’re So Bad, You Don’t Know How it Feels, Last Dance With Mary Jane, Runnin’ Down a Dream
Billy Joel – Big Shot, Uptown Girl, Always A Woman to Me
John Mellencamp – Hurts So Good
Guns & Roses – Sweet Child of Mine
Heart – Magic Man
Aerosmith – Dream On, Same Old Song & Dance, Just Push Play, Mamma Kin
Queen – I want to Break Free, Killer Queen
Van Morrison – Jackie Wilson Said,
Bruce – Glory Days,
Jeff Buckley – Hallelujah
-OR-
Kelis – Milk Shake
Sean Paul – Shake That Thing
Norega – Nothing
50 Cent – Disco Inferno, Candy Shop
112 – Peaches n Cream
Lady Saw- If I Was A Rich Girl
Etc etc…

No comments: