Friday, August 19, 2005

L’Esquinade

All summer long L’Esquinade had been my escape. When I couldn’t sleep at home, I found myself dozing on the mats. When I needed a break from whoever was living in Chez Michel, I found myself eating under the straw huts. When the real world crept uncomfortably close, I found myself sipping rosé by the ocean. It was my place to run away to.



Now, since Sarah – who worked there for two years – has arrived, we’ve been going everyday. She knows everyone well, from the owners to the patrons to the vendors harassing the clients. L’Esquinade is no longer (or at least not right now) the fantasy land to which I run; it’s just a part of our every day routine.



But it’s still wonderful.

So, all of my long, lazy days are spent reading at this beach. I come home at night, have a G&T and a small dinner with my family, then go to bed. I enjoy the antics of my darling 4-year-old cousin Lucas and laugh hysterically with Patty’s kids. It’s a different lifestyle than the rest of the summer, but equally as enjoyable.



Yesterday we opted not to spend the afternoon at L’Esquinade and instead ate dinner there. It was amazing. The foods is always good, Edna – the ultimate hostess – brought over two bottles of champagne and equally bubbly conversation. That woman knows everyone and refuses to sit still, bouncing from one table to the next until the sun comes up – literally. We didn’t stick around to watch the sunrise, but we did watch the moon – a beautiful, full copper disk hanging low over the water, it’s reflection shimmering like a snake across the waves. Magnificent. Combine that with the low hanging palm huts under which we ate – it was phenomenal. An impressive evening.

I sent the fax to rid myself of my beautiful apartment in Southie. It’s almost tragic to see such a nice place go, but it’s for the best. I’m reminded of one of the last times I was here with my family and my father faxed the papers to sell our beautiful house on Colonial Drive while the rest of us sun bathed at L’Esquinade. I must have been 13 at the time.



Tomorrow my Uncle Jom & his family arrives. The Americans are coming!

No comments: