Sunday, May 29, 2005

My Favorite Place in Paris

Again, the tiny quirks of a city are what I love most (just check out my favorite place in Boston). I love the secrets that fade into the background that most living nearby don’t even know about. This is mine for Paris:

I had stumbled upon this building with a boyfriend years ago in Paris and it left such an impression that this time around I had to see it again. So I embarked upon an adventure, armed with a camera and what little French I know, and headed to the 13th arrodisimant, near the 6th. I knew it was somewhere nearby, so I walked block by block, speaking with whatever old lady I could find (it was Mother’s Day here so they were all out… and they speak slow enough for me to understand…), trying to describe this building with no name or import. No one knew. After roaming the area for hours, I gave up and began to walk toward the metro station – only to walk right up to it. : D So here are the three engravings in this building, tucked away on a tree-lined street in Montparnasse, that I adore:


No comments: