Friday, May 27, 2005

PARIS - Day II

Laurence said the good weather came with me. That’s great; I prefer clear blue skies and bright sunshine to the cold, gray rainy days in Boston. But it’s f---in hot. Today I actually had to buy a slinky linen tank top and peel off my sweat-soaked cotton tee and bra in order to survive (lovely image, huh?). Thank God Parisians don’t mind much attention to boobs, cuz I’ve got a lot of ‘em!


Today I visited the Louvre. Wow. There are so many amazing pieces of artwork flooding the gorgeous halls of that ancient building that it really would require days to properly examine each one. Me, I’m not really much of an art person. There are some things I can really, really appreciate though:


This is actually why I went to the Louvre in the first place. Flipping through the photo album of my dear friend Lisa’s, I saw this sculpture and fell in love. I think it may be the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen – quite possibly because I firmly believe that a person’s back is the most attractive part of his or her body (or in the case of this “Hermaphrodite endormi,” it’s both sexes). I had to see it out for myself. And as I neared the many great halls of the museum for four hours, I feared I would never find it. But, as Lisa had years ago, I went to leave and just stumbled upon it in the Greek Antiquities. Lovely.


This one is for all the men out there. And larger women. Do you see this old Italian sculpture? See her rolls? Yea, she’s fat. And that’s Aphrodite. Yea fat women. Rock on.

Like I said, I’m not an art-lover. But I absolutely adore Italian sculpture – I just think they portray women to be so real and so stunningly beautiful. And they make love look so romantic, and let’s face it – I am a hopeless romantic. But here are some other objets d’art that I saw today:





















I have something to say about this last one, the “Sarcophagus of a Married Couple.” I never, ever feared or thought of death – until I fell in love. Once I had found the man of my dreams and realized how excited you could become to spend rest of your life with someone, I realized I never wanted that life together to end. I was truly happy, and when you’re truly happy, you want to be awake – and a live – to cherish every single second of it. And when you are in love, despite the wedding vows, you do not want death to be what tears you apart. So why not follow this ancient Etruscan couple – and be buried together? Then you truly do get to spend eternity with ton amour… aaaawwww how cute, huh?

After spending all morning at the museum, I walked over to Notre Dame to see the ruins of Paris underneath. It was really quite interesting; it is a guided tour of ancient artifacts and building structures exactly as found when excavated (in the same location and everything) from the Gallo tribes to the 18th century. Neat.


And afterwards I thought I was going to die of heat, so I got lost (again) and walked to my hotel du soir. Usually called Hotel Richard on Rue Richard Lenoir, I like to call it Sketchball Motel. My room is ridiculous – with plywood coming out of the wall, an exposed sing in the corner, two plastic chairs, and a large bed that is melting in the heat (no AC). I even had to rent my own sheets.













As for worries? Yes, I have a few… so much for a hotel room tomorrow night – my hostel is closing down. Not that I mind, giving the sketchiness. It does have wireless Internet though, which is always fun… Ok – I’m off to find myself a place to sleep for the next few nights (not to mention I’m allergic to something in this damn hotel and am dying). Otherwise I’m catching a plane and going who-the-hell-knows-where.

No comments: