Saturday, June 25, 2005

Bonds – here are some shout outs

I really missed my family. Of course, I don’t think I knew how much until we all went through four or five bottles of wine tonight. When Alex called me from the airport, I suddenly was filled with excitement – I got to see my brother soon. And he came – finally – and we had our fun and welcomed Becca to the family and it was lovely. I love my family; I’ve loved their emails and phone calls. I have an amazing family; I am forever grateful for the constant support and love.

But I was thinking of the bonds you have with the people you love all day today, after speaking with an old friend and roommate about how, to use her words, “you meet so many good people in this world and sometimes you just feel like you can never seem to appreciate them like they deserve to be.” (Nisma deserves a shout out, too.) I have met so many amazing people throughout my life that have helped me in more ways then they know and as much as I try to show my gratitude and love, they deserve more. My family is phenomenal. Both sides of my family have always pulled together to help me and inspire me and guide me through life; and never will I be able to thank them enough. Especially here. My grandparents, my aunts, my cousins. Moving to the south of France and writing (on whatever level, so a blog will do for now!) has always been my dream. Without their guidance and support, and constant emails of love and encouragement, this never would have been possible to achieve.

I have friends, like Chrissy, who have tolerated me since I was five years old. I have friends, like Shannon, who love me unconditionally and encourage me to do whatever I want. Throughout all the trials and tribulations of college, it was Shannon who kept me sane. I have friends, like Amanda Coskie – who I barely see any more – who said the right things at a crucial time – adolescence – so that now I could pursue my dream. She knew that I could accomplish all these things well before I did. As did Lisa, my roommate in Southie, who knew I spoke French before anyone else. Without people’s faith in me, I’m not sure I would have had enough faith in myself. I have friends like Jon Trotta, who never seems to forget my birthday. He is a man who cares about me and deserves a ton of thanks. My friend Beth, who I only went to school with for a moment, has one of the purest hearts I’ve ever stumbled across. Tristan, and all of his brothers, welcomed me into their fraternal family and kept in touch long after my connections faded. Old friends from high school, like Sean and Seth, still keep in touch to keep me on track, and remind me exactly where I came from. My friend Christina saved me by showing me how to have fun at a time when I had almost forgotten. My coworkers at L. My ex-boyfriend’s family has been an inspiration since the day I met them – they are amazing people. He himself was a wonderful man who taught me how to always have an intense passion for life. My mother’s coworkers at Healthy Families (who are probably reading this right now) have all served as encouragement and support and comfort – for keeping my mother sane. I do give her gray hairs.

And these are just a few. In my head I can rattle off a billion names of people throughout my life who have influenced my character in a major way. I just hope that all of these people know how thankful I am to have had them in my life, even if for just a fleeting second. You guys are amazing, and I love you.

There, I said it. Another bottle of wine, please…

No comments: