Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Daughters be good to your fathers, and be good to your mothers too



Though I managed all the responsibilities of this house well before their arrival, since my parents have come I’ve slid easily back into the role of their child. And they, with all their loving instincts and whatnot, are eager to play the role of my parents again. I’m on vacation. I do very little, I eat a lot, I sleep and I relax. They are also on vacation. But once you’ve grown up, once you have kids, you’re never really on vacation ever again.

Sure, they relax on the beach. They drink more wine than usual. They’re happy, and they think they’re chilling out, completely on vacation. But – no matter how much I offer – my mother still cleans the house daily to prevent ant infestation. My father still prepares every meal. And after we eat, the two of the clean up the majority of the kitchen.

I appreciate their work, their love, and their obsession with food & wine more than either will ever know. I wake up late and breakfast is one the table, or I shower and dinner’s already made; I make a phone call after clearing the table (waitressing skills – it’s the least I can do every night) and when I return, the kitchen is mostly clean. I offer and offer, and I do work hard too. And I did all of those chores by myself before their arrival. It just makes me a little sad that once you grow up, there’s so much you have to do on vacation that though it feels like vacation, it never really is. Unless you’re pampered at some five star hotel.

Which they will be, soon enough. My brother and I made sure that – using their anniversary as an excuse – all their love and hard work through the years was well rewarded by a leisurely getaway in the beautiful Les Bories hotel in Gordes.

Thanks guys, you’re the best ‘rents around ; )

No comments: