Monday, June 13, 2005

I slept through an incredible beach day

Of course, I say that while sitting on the beach.



From the moment I saw the sun rising this morning (I am beginning to lose count of - but certainly not interest in - sunrises), I decided today would be my L’Esquinade day of the week. But seeing as I slept through most of it, I guess I’ll have to reschedule.

I swore to myself a long time ago that I would never stay somewhere where I woke up dreading to go to work. (I actually made that promise after speaking with Jen, the wonderful bartender at my old job. She, too, made that vow.) Yesterday, I was downright depressed that I had to go back to Stephano. So I quit. I know, I know… I had all these aspirations of staying two weeks (then I shortened that to one week, then I felt lucky I went last night) and I am not one to quit… But I was miserable. I’m living my dream here; I’m not allowed to be miserable.

Plus, I felt a lot better about quitting after my dear Aunt Sarah deciphered my French voicemails for me and said someone wanted to see me about a job. I went to Le Lagon (just a few beaches down from Stephano’s) before work and spoke with the man there who is ecstatic to hire me. “I can tell by your résumé that you are very good.” Though everything on that CV is true, I tend to disagree with him. I haven’t got a clue.

So I marched right into StephanoForever and told him I couldn’t work after tonight. We agreed maybe we’d try again in July. Yea, right. I resisted the urge to tell him I hated him and never wanted to see him again.

Then I had an awesome evening. (It always happens like that, doesn’t it?)

I worked a party from 11pm to 5am. I was the bartender under yet another only-French-speaking trainer and I served people who also spoke no English. And I did really, really well. Granted, it was easy (only vodka or whisky with one of 6 mixers), but it was fun. I loved it. I left the restaurant at 6:30 this morning so happy. There's something so exhilarating about being behind a bar. And I’m starting to really like being nocturnal.

Both Elanie and Anthaya (the two girls), as well as Marino, took my number and gave me lots of love goodbye. I do hope to see them again...

Again, I digress. I came home, had a bite to eat, and went to bed. I slept through both of my alarms and when I finally peeled myself out of bead at 2pm, I was disappointed I missed so much of this gorgeous day. Really, it’s one of the best days I’ve seen yet. So I made my way to L’Escalet, the nearby public beach with rocks and fishies and a nice snack bar and free parking. If only the water was warmer…

I’m currently watching the most beautiful Border Collie, with one floppy ear and one sticking up, play fetch in the ocean. It’s fun. I so miss having a dog. I am tempted to ask these people if I can take her home – I mean, they have three dogs and I have none!



Someday I'd like to live here. And have a sailboat. And a dog. And a job I loved. And lunch. I really wish I had lunch.

That one I can do something about…

Hahaha

No comments: